Greetings AARP California Volunteer,
AARP California will host a Virtual Lobby Day on Wednesday, August 18th, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM PT to help pass six critical nursing home reform bills. This package of bills is known as the P.R.O.T.E.C.T. plan or Prioritize Responsible Ownership, Treatment, Equity, and Corporate Transparency Plan. As cosponsors of Senate Bill 650 (Stern), the keystone bill in the P.R.O.T.E.C.T. Plan, we need your help to make this bill into law.
Our lobby day will start with a virtual rally on our nursing home reform bills at 9:00 AM and conclude with a debriefing of our meetings with legislative offices at 4:30 PM. Between 10:00 AM and 4:30 PM, volunteers will meet with members of the legislature or their staffs to help get the votes necessary for SB 650 to advance to the Governor’s desk. Additionally, volunteers will also advocate for the five remaining P.R.O.T.E.C.T. Plan bills; AB 279, AB 323, AB 749, AB 849, and AB 1042.
TO PARTICPATE IN VIRTUAL LOBBY DAY TAKE THESE TWO ACTIONS:
- Register to participate in Virtual Lobby Day on Wednesday, August 18th from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM PT here: (https://aarp.cvent.com/VLD)
- If registering for Virtual Lobby Day, you will also be required to attend one of three advocacy trainings listed below. Please register for one of the following trainings:
- August 10 – 9:00-10:00 AM (https://aarp.cvent.com/Aug10)
- August 11 – 3:00-4:00 PM (https://aarp.cvent.com/Aug11)
- August 12 – 3:00-4:00 PM (https://aarp.cvent.com/Aug12)
Materials such as talking points, legislator information, and leave-behinds will be provided to you during your training.
We especially encourage volunteers from Assembly Districts 2, 4, 22, 27, 31, 34, 36, 38, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 53, 57, 59, 63, 64, 66, 71, 75, 76, 78, 80; and Senate Districts 6, 10, 11, 20, 21, 23, 25, 31, 33, 35, 36, and 39 to participate. If you are unsure of what district you reside in use the link below.
District lookup: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
The COVID-19 pandemic brought to light the disparities that exist in nursing homes and the time is NOW to advocate for change. We need your support and hope you can join us on Wednesday, August 18th, to advance the P.R.O.T.E.C.T Plan and reform nursing homes.
For questions regarding Virtual Lobby Day, please contact Christian Landaverde at firstname.lastname@example.org.