National AARP is sharing current COVID-19 information every Thursday at 10:00 a.m. PDT. The phone # is 855-274-9507.
Our membership has voted NOT to have a general meeting on May 19.
Many thanks to Thelma Bridges and her telephone committee who were able to contact 88 of our members; 52 voted not to have a meeting either through teleconference or Zoom. If the shelter in place order still forbids meetings of 50 or more in June, we will have to consider one of these 21st century means of communications to keep bonding with our members, a bond which has given our chapter the vibe and warmth that it has!
If you have not received a weekly copy of the California Connections Weekly Brief, or the Covid-19 information card, please let me know, and I will make sure you get it.
A reminder: Santa Clara County has kept Shelter in Place for another month, presumably ending on May 31; counties (and the state) make decisions like this based on the following criteria:
• The ability to monitor and protect our communities through testing, contact tracing, isolating, and supporting those who are positive or exposed.
• The ability to prevent infection in people who are at risk for more severe COVID-19.
• The ability of the hospital and health systems to handle surges.
• The ability to develop therapeutics to meet the demand.
• The ability for businesses, schools, and childcare facilities to support physical distancing, and
• The ability to determine when to reinstitute measures, such as the stay-at-home orders, if necessary.
A big thanks to our member, Liz Gibbons, for providing this information.